Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Please...Excuse My Tardiness

January 7, 2013


Dearest Family,

I write you this fine Monday morning from Santo Domingo....enjoying some cooler temperatures!  Wahoo!  Sorry for not writing last night, we didn't come into town until early this morning, and for that I am writing you all today! :)  This week has been very enjoyable--just like every week in the mission.  Last week we welcomed in the New Year singing (quite loudly--but still reverently), HYMNS!   So, Los Cacicazgos, and President Danilo, welcomed in the new year listening to the Elders sing hymns!  How exciting is that?  Well, we got back to Azua on New Year's day, and honestly, there wasn't too much to do, because everyone was hammered.  The scent of alcohol hung in the air.  It was interesting to see the "day after".  It made me happy that we can enjoy and celebrate things without the corruption of the world....Alma said it best, "Wickedness never was happiness."  

On Thursday, it was back to Santo Domingo again for Zone Council, where we and all the Zone Leaders meet with President to get trained and to talk about the goals and things for the month.  It was a good experience, even though I must admit my eyes were a little droopy after 9 hours there.

I was thinking a little bit this week about the mission, and I started to think about my personal progress.  I was thinking, gee whizz, I have basically 19 months out here.  Have I become what the Lord wants me to be?  Do I have His image in my countenance?  I really began to ponder on that, and I began to think about what I really want to be my focus for the last 6 months of the mission.  I came to the conclusion that I really want to take advantage of these last 6 months to become more Christlike.  It has become my goal to be able to develop the characteristics that Christ has, and to really become like him.  I know that that is the best thing that I can possibly take home from the mission.  I want to be a true representative of Christ, by becoming like Him.  It is not enough to just wear the badge.  I really have to be like Him. 

On Friday, we were able to head out to Barahona to go to their Zone Meeting and do an intercambio with the Zone Leaders.  We were able to share a little bit with them, and we really just wanted to help them understand the importance of being united.  United in everything that they do!  The scriptures say "si no sois unidos, no sois mios", and I really know that is true! 

I'm grateful for the chance to fast.  I have learned to love fasting on the mission.  It really is such a blessing, and helps us to be sensitive to the promptings of the Spirit. 

Well family, I think that's all for this week!  I'm thankful for everything that you do for me, and I pray for you each and every day!  I hope that 2013 starts out great and is a great year!  :) 

Love,

Elder Reeder

No comments:

Post a Comment