Sunday, July 29, 2012

Challenges in Life Bring Blessings

Hello Family,

Well, it was good to hear once again that everything is going good!  I was surprised to read that Mom also had a tire blow out.  How was that?  I'm assuming everything is okay?  I sure hope so.  It's interesting that all of these things have been happening seemingly at the same time.  I was thinking of the why?  Why did the wreck happen?  Why do all these seemingly fluke things happen?  I received my response quite directly and quickly.  Monday mornings we have a meeting with President and Hermana Rodriguez, the senior couples, and the A.P's.  To start out this meeting we always have a devotional.  This week, the President was in charge of the devotional.  He started off by saying he had been thinking a lot about challenges in life.  Challenges for missionaries, for investigators and for everyone.  At this point I'm sitting up a little straighter in my  chair.  He then talked about how there are always challenges before the blessings.  Something I have heard more than once, but in this moment, it was exactly what I needed to hear.

We then read from Mormon 9, where it talks about miracles.  This part really stuck out to me.  27 "O then despise not, and wonder not, but hearken unto the words of the Lord, and ask the Father in the name of Jesus for what things soever ye shall stand in need.  Doubt not, but be believing, and begin as in times of old, and come unto the Lord with all your heart, and work out your own salvation with fear and trembling before him.  28 Be wise in the days of your probation; strip yourselves of all uncleanness; ask not, that ye may consume it on your lusts, but ask with a firmness unshaken, that ye will yield to no temptation, but that ye will serve the true and living God."

Be wise in the day of your probation.  Right now we are experiencing our probation!  Times are tough!  Ashley and Sven had a rough accident--and now have to move halfway across the country.  Dad is working like crazy.  Mom had a tire blow out.  These are our tests!  I hope that we will apply the guidance of this scripture--ask with a firmness unshaken, that we will yield to no temptation, but that we will serve the true and living God.  I know that these trials aren't easy, desired, or fun--but they are an opportunity to grow!  In the mission I have experienced trials, but the times I learned and grew the most were during these trials.  The Lord tests our faith.  He has to know that we will remain true and faithful, and then He opens up the windows of heaven, and we receive the blessings.  So many blessings there isn't room to receive them!  I know that the things that happen here in the earth have a purpose.  We can shake our heads and ask why, or we can hunker down and get stronger!  I pray that we always accept our challenges head on, and that we will learn and grow!

I love you all so much! 


Elder Riley Ted Reeder
La Iglesia De Jesucristo De Los Santos De Los Últimos Días
La Misión Santo Domingo Oeste, República Dominicana

No comments:

Post a Comment