Friday, January 27, 2012

Last Week in Madre Vieja Norte--Mixed Feelings!

Hello Family, 

This week has been another great week in Madre Vieja Norte!  We have been super lucky these last few weeks, and we have so many investigators to teach that we hardly have time to contact and look for more.  I couldn't ask for anything better.  Things are going just great here!  I kinda just want to tell you a little bit about the different families and people that we are teaching right now.  

1st.  Gladys y Fausto.  Gladys and Fausto are just a miracle.  Elder Day and I received Gladys as a reference a long, long time ago.  We went, taught her one lesson, and she seemed so uninterested that we never went back.  When Elder Hall and I happened upon her house contacting again, I thought to myself that we shouldn't even waste our time.  But we contacted her, she started progressing, and now she and her husband are progressing tons!  They are starting on the process to get married.  

2nd.  Ada y Ruben (y hijos).  Ada and Ruben are another miracle.  We contacted them, and after one  lesson we really thought that Ada could progress, but we didn't even know about Ruben.  After we met Ruben, things just really took off.  They are married by the law.  (You don't even understand how big of a deal that is.)  They are just great!  We had a really special experience with them last week.  We left them 3 Nephi 11 to read, and in the next visit when we returned, they hadn't read anything.  We decided to read it with them.  We then read the whole chapter together, and after we discussed the things that we liked from the chapter.  Ada was talking, and I just kept getting the feeling that we needed to invite them to pray right then to know if the Book of Mormon is true.  It seemed like an awkward situation, because we were teaching outside, and there was a lot going on.  I denied the prompting the first time, because it just seemed like the wrong time, to me.  It came again, and this time I couldn't deny it.  I asked if there was a place that we could go and all kneel to pray to know that the Book of Mormon is true.  They gladly accepted, and we entered their humble home, kneeled down on the cement floor, and prayed.  Ada then offered one of the most special prayers I have ever heard.  With all her heart she pleaded with the Lord to know if the Book of Mormon is true, and if the things we presented were true.  As she was closing her prayer, I could hear her voice shake, and when I looked up I saw tears in the eyes of her and Ruben.  I know without a doubt in my mind they received their answer.  The Spirit was so strong in their little house, and I know they recognized it.  I know without a shadow of a doubt the Book of Mormon is true, and this strengthened my testimony immensely.       

3rd.  Demauri and Moreno.   Demauri is a less active member, and Moreno is her husband.  They have two little girls who are absolutely adorable.  The one is always singing this really popular song here, and it's the cutest thing ever.  (I shot video of it and will send it home very, very soon)  She loves us and always just calls us "Los Misioneros!"  It's so fun to pass by their house.  Anyway, Moreno was really timid when we started off our visits with him.  He never had a lot to say, but we could tell that he was listening with his heart.  In the last week he has really opened up to us.  He jokes with us, laughs with us, and always wants to buy us food.  It is so amazing the way the people who have absolutely nothing will open up and give you everything they have.  It absolutely breaks my heart every time they give us something, because I know it is such a sacrifice, but they will not let us deny their gifts.  We learned alot about them on Saturday when we passed by.  We had a visit set up, and when we passed by there was a bunch of people over, and it looked like quite a party.  Demauri ran out and got Moreno and they invited us in, and instantly they turned off the music, left the party, and shared with us.  It was such a small thing, but it really showed me their desires to learn about the Gospel. 

I don't have time to tell you about all the people that we are teaching right now, but I thought you would like to hear a little bit.  I love them with all of my heart.  They really have become some of my best friends.  Thinking about the upcoming transfer (next week)  I really get sad.  I have made so many great friends in this area that saying goodbye is going to kill me.  I really have developed such a love for the members, the investigators, and this area.  I have learned more about my Savior Jesus Christ, his Gospel, and myself in the last 6 months than any other time in my life.  I love my companion, he has taught me so much.  I feel like at times he is more my trainer than I am his.  I love all the experiences we have had together, and I hope that I have helped him learn something.  All in all I love the mission.  It is so much work, so much stress, but at the same time so much fun.  It is the most rewarding thing I have ever done.  I am a firm believer that missionary work should be fun, and I know that when we are serving the lord with all our heart, might, mind, and strength, it is fun.  I know Christ lives.  He is our Savior and Redeemer.  

I love you guys!   

Elder Reeder

No comments:

Post a Comment