Monday, October 3, 2011

Wasn't conference great?

Hello Family,

First of all, wasn't conference great?  I´m so grateful for the opportunity I had to go.  We were able to attend both Saturday sessions, and both Sunday, which is actually a great blessing.  On Saturday the rule was we had to have investigators going to be able to attend.  Well, our investigator pulled a no-show, but we stayed anyway.  We felt pretty justified because we were listening to the Prophet.  Of course, all of it was in Spanish, but I felt like I understood a ton.  It was amazing to hear clear Spanish!  If you can understand a Dominican, you can understand anyone!  Anyway, conference was amazing.  I felt like everything just drilled me.  I loved the Elder from Japan, I can't remember his name and I don't have my notes, that talked about Missionary work.  It hit pretty deep for me.  We really do have the most amazing message in the entire world, and it has the power to change lives.  I came out of there with such an increased desire to work just that much harder.

I felt like a bunch of the talks were on trials.  Everyone has trials.  If I have learned anything on the mission, it's that life is what we make of it.  We can do everything under our power, and sometimes things just don't work out.  But we still need to keep trying our hardest.  Keep doing our best and have faith.  Faith has the power to move mountains.  I have realized the literal significance of that.

I also loved when President Uchdorf (yeah I have no idea how to spell that) talked about how much our Father in Heaven loves us.  He loves us perfectly.  I can't comprehend perfect love, but I know that it is real.  Our Father in Heaven knows our name.  He knows our problems, He can and will help us with everything, if we are just willing to ask.  There is a scripture in Matthew, I don't know the exact reference, where Jesus says (summarizing in my own words) Which of you, if your child asked for bread, would give him a rock?  If you, being imperfect, know how to give gifts to your children, how much more can your Father in Heaven give, if we just ask.  But our requests must be worthy.  When we are truly praying, our desires are in line with the desires that our Father in Heaven has for us.

There are 2 things I beg all of you to do.  Read the Book of Mormon and pray.  Pray together.  Pray alone.  Read together.  Read alone.  Something I got out of the September Liahona.  The September Liahona was really good, but I think they shouldn't have sent that to the missionaries.  Really?  Eternal Marriage to missionaries?  Ha ha  We were all just like....Dang, this is not what we want to be reading about right now!  Ha ha.

One last little interesting fact, remember Elder Cornish that spoke in the Sunday afternoon session?  We are pretty much buds.  His office is in the CCM, so we saw him a lot, and he spoke to us a few times.  Also, he was at our last zone conference.  He is the Doctor that I talked to about my amoeba, so that was pretty cool to see him speaking!

Last week was a good week, but the work was a little bit slow.  The best experience of the week was with Michael.  We went to his house, and him and a bunch of friends were playing card games, and when Dominicans are playing card games they don't like to be interrupted.  But he immediately dropped his cards and came out and talked to us.  In the middle of the lesson, he was like ¨I have felt a major change in my life ever since you guys began sharing with me, and I want to be baptized PRONTO.  That is the sweetest sentence imaginable to missionary ears.  He should get baptized next week if everything keeps going according to plan.  This week we have our first baptism!  It will be the couple who got married last week, Santo and Flor.  They are awesome.  Santo will be an amazing priesthood holder, which is what this country needs.  We had to postpone Omar´s date, because he didn't show up to conference, so that's kind of frustrating.  We should really start seeing the fruits of our hard work this transfer.

Anyways, things are good here in the D.R.  The days are still hot, the mosquitos still bite, the electricity still leaves, the people still yell rubios and Mormones, but I´m still as happy as ever!  This really is such an awesome opportunity to serve, and learn!  I already feel like I have learned so much in these almost 4 months.  I also have a buzz haircut right now, like literally a buzz cut.  It's so short I don't even have to do anything with it!  I´m a little kid again!  I got my first Dominican Pants, they are awesome!!!  I´ll send a picture next week.  Anyways, the Church is true and is an amazing blessing in our lives.  I love you all so much!  

Elder Reeder 
Riley     

No comments:

Post a Comment