Sunday, June 9, 2013

An Exciting Week!

May 19, 2013


Well family,

This week was extremely exciting- not just because I was able to see all of your bright shining faces on skype (although that was quite pleasant), but this week was just full of crazy adventures!  Let me tell you about them...

So this week we received a special assignment from President. Get a queen size mattress and frame (I don't know why this house had a big mattress, but it did) from a missionaries house and take it to a needy member in an area clear out in the boonies--sounds easy enough right?  WRONG!  We got to the house, which is on the third story, and realized that after they put the bed in the house, they had done some remodeling, and it no longer fit down the stairs...Dilemma?  YES! Well, we are in the good ole' Dominican Republic, so anything is possible.  Well, a little bit of engineering and 75 feet of rope later--the queen size bed frame was swinging from the 3rd floor on its way down!  Oh you should have seen all the people in the streets watching losmormones repel a bed frame!  Well, all said and done it got down fine :)  It was quite the adventure...I have video proof.  

Adventure number 2.   Yesterday, the sisters in our branch had 2 baptisms!  Well, they are kinda green still and left the font on....so it got really, really, really full..and our font has a problem so it takes like 4-5 days to drain...so the font was full right to the brim!  Well, when 2 great big old men got in there, it was hovering over the edge!  The prayer was said, and then the member baptizing literally thew him into the water...and the whole first row got a tidal wave of water thrown at them....(I was a witness so I got a little as well)...needless to say it was a very....unique....baptism!  Something I will never forget.

On Friday, we had a meeting for the district of Azua where we talked about missionary work, and all recent converts and reactivated members were invited.  Well, the District President asked Alberto to share his testimony, and although he was extremely nervous, I have never felt so happy in my entire life!  It was an extremely simple testimony, but the spirit testified of his words, and they penetrated to my heart.  He and Aurelina are working with the branch president to put a date to be able to go to the temple and be sealed.  It has been an experience full of ups and downs, but it really was the crowning moment to hear Alberto share his testimony!  Yesterday, we were teaching them about eternal marriage, and we studied a little bit of section 132 in Doctrine and Covenants.  I invite you all (all you married folk) to study that section again and again.  I really have never seen greater promises in all of the scriptures!  It is my hope and desire that we can all obey the covenants that we have made.  I know that I'm a little behind, and still have a few more to go, but I hope to be prepared to make them in the house of the Lord.  I have learned that although the ordinances allow us to receive blessings--it doesn't mean that we can do them and "eat drink and be marry".  We must "obey my ordinances" as the Lord teaches us.  The Lord is bound when we do what He says, but when we are disobedient--we have no promise.  In Spanish, the scripture says that The Lord is obligated when we obey the commandments.  When we are obedient to the commandments and the covenants that we have received, the Lord is obligated to bless and to fulfill his promises!  I hope that we can all reflect a little on that, and do a little more to be a little more obedient each and every day- because the Lord has promised us his greatest gift- that of eternal life.  I know with all my heart that this is true.  Families are eternal--when we live worthy of such a grand reward. 

I am grateful for this time that I have to be a representative of Jesus Christ.  I am grateful for Him, for His infinite atonement, for His charity, for His grace, and His example.  I hope that each and every day I can become a little more like Him, and that I can one day be worthy to be in His presence.  

Love, 
Elder Riley Ted Reeder



-- 
Elder Riley Ted Reeder
La Iglesia De Jesucristo De Los Santos De Los Últimos Días
La Misión Santo Domingo OesteRepública Dominicana 



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

No comments:

Post a Comment