Thursday, November 17, 2011

AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hola Familia, 

Well, I really don't know where to start out this letter.  Basically, the last week has been the hardest but most rewarding week of my life.  I'll try to give the highlights without just rambling.  So on Tuesday, we had to leave our house at about 6 o'clock to get Elder Day to Las Palmas, and me to the capital to meet my trainee.  We got about 4 hours of sleep that night because we were packing his stuff, cleaning the house, doing all sorts of stuff.  Anyway, we left super early and went to the zone leaders' house to say our goodbyes.  It was really hard saying goodbye to Elder Day.  He really was a father to me.  I really feel like he taught me everything I know about the mission.  At times I was stubborn, but he was always patient with me, and we always had fun and worked hard.  I realized last week how much I took for granted having such a great trainer.  But, well, we said our goodbyes. 

Then Elder Boswell and I left for the capital.  Well, we flagged down a Gua Gua (a bus) on the freeway and got in--kinda.  There wasn't really room on the bus, so we rode to the capital with our feet and arms holding on, and the rest of our bodies outside!  It was pretty fun!  I tried to get out of paying for the ride by saying that we weren't really in the bus......but I still had to pay.  Ha ha.  But, we got to the transfer chapel, and I got to see Elder Richardson and Elder Dispain from the MTC and CCM.  It was fun to see them and share our experiences about the mission.

After this, we (the trainers) went into a meeting with President Rodriguez.  At this point I was overwhelmed to say the least, but the things that President said to us I feel were directed right to me.  He started off by assuring us that we were called by the Lord to be trainers.  He talked about how we had the power in our hands to change the mission.  President really wants the mission changed, and he wants it to start with the new ones coming in.  He also then continued talking about how he promised we were called by the Lord, and that we would be able to fulfill our responsibility.  It was reassuring to me, but at the same time I felt extremely nervous that I would not be adequate.  After that we went in to meet our "kids". 

My trainee is Elder Jacob Hall from Layton Utah.  He is way bigger than me!  Everyone probably thinks that my kid is my dad!  He is kind of a shy guy, but he is opening up--as of about yesterday.  In all honesty, we don't really have a whole lot in common.  He was in drama in high school, and he went to BYU!  (I just reminded him that USU beat BYU.)  ha ha.  No, but he really is a great missionary.  He has a great desire to learn and to serve the Lord.  I'm really excited to see what the Lord has in store for us in the next few months.  It was way fun to watch him during his first few days and to see him go through the same things that I went through--like just a few months ago!  

It really has been such a rewarding week for me!  I just pray that I can teach him the things that he needs to know and do it in the way that the Lord would have me.  I have realized that I made it through the last week relying on the Lord.  I have never prayed so hard in my entire life, and I have seen miracles.  I have been able to understand Spanish--everything, and my speaking ability has increased so much that it is amazing.  I am so grateful for the hand of the Lord in the last few days. 

I feel like I have a million things to say, but no time to say it.  Basically, I'm just trying to put myself in the hands of the Lord and learn everything I can from this experience.  I hope that I can train Elder Hall correctly, and that we can accomplish the work of the Lord in Madre Vieja Norte.  I love the mission.  I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the blessings that we receive from it.  I'm grateful that the family can be eternal because of temple ordinances.  I love all of you!  



Elder Riley Reeder

No comments:

Post a Comment